Saturday, June 18, 2005

Teacher, teacher...

“But you, do not be called ‘Rabbi’; for One is your teacher, the Christ, and you are all brethren. Do not call anyone on earth your father; for One is your father, He who is in heaven. And do not be called teachers; for One is your Teacher, the Christ.” (Matthew 23:8-10)

Yesterday, I took a walk down memory lane and visited my alma mater, Penang Free School. I am a Free at heart, and always shall be. I almost half expected to be wished “sir” as I wandered along the corridors. I had to remind myself that I am no longer temping there. As I was leaving, a boy came up to me and said “Sir! You said you will be coming back when I am in form 5! Will you be?” I was his form teacher when he was in form 1. He is form 4 now. He actually remembers!

I aspire to teach the truths of God’s word and speak of it whenever I can. I aspire to be a teacher. I also aspire to be a father one day. But what is Jesus talking about when he says “do not be called ‘Rabbi’ ”, “do not call anyone on earth your father,” and “do not be called teachers”? Does Jesus have something against religious teachers, fathers, and teachers?

Jesus has nothing against the universal application of these titles. What Jesus has against these titles is how people seek these titles for the prestige and power and goes with them. Bearers of those titles are purposed to use their position to serve others, not to gain honor and recognition for themselves.

Why do you want to be called a Rabbi? Is it because you “love the best places at feasts, the best seats in the synagogues, greetings in the marketplaces, and to be called by men, ‘Rabbi, Rabbi’ ”? You should be liberating people to know the truth and freedom that God’s word brings, not “bind heavy burdens” on those who don’t know any better.

Why do you want to be called a father? Is it because you love the unquestionable authority you can have over your children? You should be bringing up your children in the fear of the Lord, not in the fear of yourself. Why seek to be called by titles, such as “holy father”? We are weak representations of holiness, and there is only one Father who is truly holy.

Why do you want to be called teachers? Is it because you love the “ego trip” when people acknowledge that you are superior to them by calling you “teacher”? Being a teacher means holding the responsibility of shaping the lives of your students to make them better than yourselves, not to make them feel small.

Jesus sets a supreme example for us. A young man comes to Jesus and calls Him “Good Teacher.” Jesus, in all humility, says, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God.” (Matthew 19:16,17)

The young man approaches Jesus as a human teacher, and calls Him good. Jesus refuses to be known as a good teacher, because He is being referred to as a human teacher. He points out that no human can ever deserve to be called good. Regardless of whether or not he is a teacher. Only God alone can be rightfully described as good.


That is what we are called to do. To be signposts to point to God, because we are never good enough to be a reference point for goodness.

No comments: