Monday, October 22, 2007

Eeyer... Terah...

Here's a story about Terah.

Terah begot Abram. Terah was Abram's father.

Teah died. Abram went to Canaan. When there was a famine in Canaan, Abram took his wife, Sarai and went to Egypt.

Abram told his wife to say that she was his sister, because Sarai was very beautiful. He was afraid that the Egyptians may kill him and her away. If the Egyptians believed that she was related to Abram, he might be treated well for Sarai's sake.

The plan worked. The Pharaoh of Egypt showed favour to Abram. Pharaoh gave him sheep, oxen, male donkeys, male and female servants, female donkeys, and camels.

However, Pharaoh's house got struck with great plagues because of Sarai. When Pharaoh found out that Sarai was actually Abram's wife, he gave Sarai back to Abram and asked them to go away, along with all that they had. Abram left Egypt richer than before he came (Genesis 12:10-20).

Abraham (formerly known as Abram) repeated the same stunt again in Gerar. He fooled Abimelech, the king of Gerar into believing that Sarah (formerly known as Sarai) was his sister, for his own protection. And again, it worked.

When Abimelech found out about it, he questioned Abram why he did such a thing.

Just when you thought he would just tell the truth, Abram dared to say it wasn't a lie! He said "But indeed she is truly my sister. She is the daughter of my father, but not the daughter of my mother; and she became my wife" (Genesis 20:1-13)





Eeyer... What a liar...





I thought long and hard...





I thought maybe I have misread it...





I checked my commentary...





The commentary confirmed it: "The marriages of the family of Terah were very close. In this patrician society, the marriages of close relatives was regarded as a sign of rank. Abraham and Sarah apparently agreed that she would invoke the plea that she was his sister wherever they might happen to be."





EEYER!! LIKE THAT ALSO CAN??





So, I thought again...





Oooh... So, Terah had more than one wife! How many wives did he really have?





I tried to think where I can check that out....





I found Terah's genealogy in Genesis 11:27-30. ..





No record of polygamy there!





Wow! Imagine... If Abraham had not leaked out that little piece of info to Abimelech, we wouldn't have known that his father had more than one wife!





Hmmm... So, I wonder...





How many wives did Terah have?





Dunno. Nobody knows... Bible doesn't say...





Hmmm... Then, I wonder again...





Why did Terah have more than one wife?





Ah, this one no need to think so long! It's because...

Dia adalah lelaki! Hahaha!




1 comment:

akmj said...

wei tak boleh wei. Sebab yang saudara telah tulis adalah sungguh tidak munasabah sekali. *blek*

Women can nag at their man. Nag at every single mistake / error that they make.

Mengapa?

Kerana mereka adalah perempuan!

yay! *clap clap clap*