Monday, March 03, 2008

Where moths don't destroy and thieves don't bother

My phone's screen went blank again. This time, it is really dead. Brain dead. Microchip dead. LCD dead. Whatever you call it. Cannot be resuscitated anymore.

I went to Digital Mall and
got this.



Nokia 1200.



How did I arrive at making this purchase?

Very simple.

Wear shorts, slippers and and a t-shirt. Enter the mall. Locate handphone shop. Ask, "How much is your cheapest Nokia handphone?" Repeat question at every shop. Skin must be thick, clothes must be old.

Seems that when it comes to shopping, my theory is correct. The nearer the shop is to the ground floor, the more expensive it is.

It's the mall's strategy. Shops on lower floors have more customer traffic. You want more customer traffic? You pay higher rent. Hence, you hike up your products' prices too.

Here's the proof. The lower floors are selling the Nokia 1200 at RM150. The highest floor with handphones sells it at RM129.

Here's a tip. If you want a price slash, say you're paying by cash. Then, ask how much discount they can give. It works most of the time.

For the less informed on why paying by cash is sometimes more advantageous...

If you pay my credit card, three parties are involved in the transaction: You, the shop owner, and the credit card company. If the product costs RM100, the shop owner must pay the credit card company a small percentage from that RM100. That's how the credit card company gets its cut.

It's no gain for the shop owner, no gain for you. It's all good for the credit card company.

If you pay by cash, only two parties are involved in the transaction: The shop owner and you. The shop owner may be willing to settle for less if he deals directly with you. The "discount" he gives to you is actually the credit card company's cut. Instead of giving the small percentage from RM100 to the credit card company (if you pay by credit card), he marks down the price for you.

It's still no gain for the shop owner. But it's gain for you! And the shop owner still wants to make the sale anyway.

I got the phone and a hard handphone cover for RM130.

So, be wise. Jadilah pengguna yang kiam siap. I mean, bijak.

Or maybe it's just a Penang kia syndrome :)

6 comments:

Dangerous Variable said...

Aiya... you should have told me you need a phone. I have 2 spare phones. 1 Nokia 3650 which I bought for RM1700 in 2003 and another Nokia 6600 which cost RM800 last year...

How...? good ar your phone..?

Anonymous said...

see..you should have waited or posted a post begging for other pp's extra phones..har har too bad

Hasten said...

Dangerous Variable: Eh, the Nokia 3650 is an ancient artifact izzit? It's no longer listed in the Nokia website.

Are you giving away your 3650?

What do you intend to do with your 6600?

My phone's ok. The buttons are a bit hard to press. Got polyphonic ringtone. And got new games to play in it! Hahaha... Good enough for me.

Hasten said...

Meowlisa: I'll come and kutip yours from you soon. Then, can start a museum :)

siehjin said...

hey, i got the same phone! my 3100 was better tho. i miss it. sniff, sniff.

and the hard cover makes the buttons reeaallly hard to press. i find myself taking off the cover every time i want to send an sms...

Hasten said...

Sieh Jin: Yah, me too! Was thinking if I should get a soft cover.