Friday, October 21, 2005

Building My House

Furthermore I tell you that the Lord will build you a house. And it shall be, when your days are fulfilled, when you must go to be with your fathers, that I will set up your seed after you, who will be of your sons; and I will establish his kingdom. He shall build Me a house, and I will establish his throne forever (1 Chronicles 17:10-12)

David expressed his desire to build a house for the Lord. But God responded in a surprising manner. God said that He does not have an immediate need for a house to dwell in, because He never “dwelt in a house since the time that (He) brought up Israel” (1 Chronicles 17:5). In fact, God has never demanded or asked the judges of Israel “Why have you not built Me a house of cedar?” (1 Chronicles 17:6)

However, in return for David’s thoughtful gesture, God blessed David greatly by saying that he will build David a house. He promised David a continuation of his royal dynasty. God also promised that after David’s death, He will set up his son’s kingdom after him. That son will be Solomon. Solomon’s kingdom will be established forever. The eternal establishment of his kingdom will be made possible by the coming reign of the Lord Jesus Christ, who will come from David’s line. And Solomon will have the privilege of building a house for the Lord.

How great is the blessing that God has granted to David!

I’m sure we have given some thought about building our own “house.” How are we going to establish our own “kingdom”? We may have certain goals in our lives – to have our own “castle” firmly built by a certain age. Hopefully at not too late a time, so we can still have time to enjoy what we have built. I’m certain we’ve also wondered whether or not what we’ve set out to establish will have a good continuation from our own seed.

I just came back from a mountain-conquering expedition. Mount Kinabalu, the highest peak in South-east Asia. During the long and arduous climb, I had a lot of time to think about things. Things pertaining to life. Even after my descent from the mount, I still reflect a lot about it.

I realize I am a man of great ambition. I have an innate addiction for challenges. It may be a good thing, and it also may be a bad thing. As much as it is applaudable to thrive on challenges, the need to live on challenges may also sidetrack a person from what he is supposedly called to do.

I realize I may be wanting too much in life. Upon my descent from the mount, I’m already thinking of climbing every mountain in Asia. I’m already wishing that when I start working, I want to accumulate enough money to conquer all those peaks by age 30.

Besides the thrills and spills one can get in life, I also think about how I can build my own “castle” and establish my own “kingdom”. I’m considering all the options I can possibly take en route to securing my “house” while I still have breath. I also wish that my seed will continue what I have set up with my sweat and toil. There is so much that I plan to do. So much that I hope to achieve.


I may have a serious problem with the word “surrender”. I may not like the idea that certain things, like my own life, cannot be under my control.

In my drive home to Penang, someone asked me this question: “Are you ready to meet your Maker? Have you ever thought about it?” That question stuck with me for a long time. More often than not, I think my answer is no.

Being preoccupied with building our own kingdom can really throw us off course from what we are meant to do while we’re still on this earth. Why am I so caught up about my own kingdom? What about God’s kingdom?

David chose to build God’s house first. In return, God Himself built David’s house for him.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Did you get mosquito bites on your expidition? :P
Praise the Lord for He had revealed another valuable piece of Him to you and to us :)
Yes, I totally agree we sometimes failed to see the bigger n more important picture when we are greedy (in some ways)..especially when I have my chocolates and wouldn't let anyone come near it :P hehe.
But now that I've come to know how blessed I am/we are, I will offer my delicious chocolates to everyone, except diabetics :P...you want some??