Monday, October 24, 2005

Times Of War And Peace

Is not the Lord your God with you? And has He not given you rest on every side? For He has given the inhabitants of the land into my hand, and the land is subdued before the Lord and before His people. Now set your heart and your soul to seek the Lord your God (1 Chronicles 22:18-19).

Those were the words that David spoke to the leaders of Israel to help his son, Solomon to build the temple. God’s people were enjoying a time of peace from their enemies, for He has “given (them) rest on every side.” During those times when they were free from the fear and aggression of war, David exhorted his people: “Set your heart and your soul to seek the Lord your God,” and “arise to build the sanctuary of the Lord God” (1 Chronicles 22:19).
David did not have a chance to build the Lord’s temple during his reign, because his kingship was an era of war and conquest. There was neither time nor opportunity for the temple of the Lord to be built, while the land was still in the midst of tumultuous wars and the unsettling expansions. And when David’s kingdom finally found rest, it was about time for Solomon to take over his throne. Hence, David advised his son to build the Lord’s sanctuary while the timing is ripe with opportunity.

Now that my practical training at Methodist Boys’ School has ended, my semester is spared from exams this time around. While my other friends are slogging during the study week, and bogged down by the pressures and anxieties of exams that looms precariously over them, I have a lot of time and autonomy in my hands to do what I want to do and go where I want to go.

Thus, I am taking this time to set my heart and my soul to seek the Lord my God. It is not every time when I get to be temporarily released from the necessary evils of life. I am taking this opportunity to read and write. To dwell more on God’s word, seek Him with my mind, and please him with my soul. I intend to harness this precious time that I have to grow in Him and be a blessing to others – something that I have not had the luxury of doing for a long time.

Hence, I’ve been coming to the library almost everyday, spending long hours there, just reading the bible and writing, while I see people around me struggling in their war with their books. I’m also taking the time to meet up with people, and spend more time with them.

It is indeed a pleasurable experience to set my heart and my soul to seek the Lord. During these times of peace, the I am now spared from waging tumultuous wars, and my plans for vigorous expansions are put on hold. With the grace of God, I hope that during these peaceful times, I will find a time of restoration, rebuilding, strengthening, and equipping. So that when it is time to wage war again, I will be ready.

The Lord is to be sought at all times, be it in war or peace. However, the Lord is gracious, and He knows our shortcomings when we fail to truly enthrone Him as Lord of our lives in the midst of war. Therefore, when the Lord puts His hedge of protection around you and grants you peace, don’t let that chance pass you by. For the Lord knows that we need a breather. He knows that we need Him.

No comments: