Thursday, October 06, 2005

I Cannot Be Bought!

For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s (1 Corinthians 6:20).

Yesterday, I got a call from the chairman of a prestigious swimming club in Penang. The Penang Inter-Club competition is 3 month’s away, and she’s already making plans. Her agenda is to beat a rival club to the championship cup. By roping in USM swimmers to swim for her club under the Open Category, she hopes that her club will turn up tops in the state.

Her club has been known for its attempts to entice swimmers with incentives. Being a rich club, it is able to employ foreign coaches to satisfy ambitious parents. It gives luxurious benefits to its swimmers, such as good facilities, free attire, cash incentives, and what nots. The club has also been known for causing riffs when swimmers changed clubs because of what the club is able to offer.

As for us, should we choose to swim for the club, they are offering to sponsor our entry fees. They will give us their attire, pay for the competition’s dinner function, and invited us to a celebration dinner if the club wins the title. Sounds like a very good deal, for them to extend such an invitation us and treat us so well if we will swim under their banner. I’m supposed to relay the message to the USM Swimming Division.

As for me, I personally feel that my allegiance is to my university. It may not be legally wrong to bite at a better offer, but I’ll not let my swimming go to another. I’ve been in Penang all my life, and I’ve never been associated with that club, or felt the need to join it in any way. Therefore, I don’t see why I should strike a connection with that club now, just because it is offering me incentives.

When I stand in my lane, and they call my name, I want it to be known to whom I really belong to. I am Joshua Hooi from USM. That club is a foreigner to me, and I cannot be identified as one of them. If I win, I will win it for USM for no incentive. If I lose, I will only lose the race. I won’t lose my honor or my integrity. I will not be bought over, or be labeled with a price tag.

Some things in this world cannot be bought with money. Things like honor and loyalty.

Being bought at a price brings many implications to the one that has been bought. When we are bought, we do not belong to ourselves anymore. We belong to the one who bought us. Our life and actions will either bring glory or shame to the one who has bought us.

Brothers and sisters, we have been bought with a price. God has set his seal of ownership over us. Our every word and action will either glorify our Father in heaven, or bring shame to His name. Do not trade your allegiance for another, regardless of the tempting bribes that the world may offer. Some things cannot be bought by perishable things such as silver or gold. Our sonship has been bought by the imperishable blood of the Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore, let us “glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s.”

Let us compete in this race of life under no other banner, but Christ’s alone.

3 comments:

Dangerous Variable said...

Money and material rewards is everything man! Ask her to name her price and I will be there.

Get real, money is the root of our existence!

Anonymous said...

is money really the root our existence? i think it's more of money is the root of man's downfall...

my 3 cents worth.

Dangerous Variable said...

The love of money... money itself is good!