Wednesday, June 14, 2006

An Archaeological Discovery!

Aiching asked me yesterday if I have a copy of the NIV bible, and why I use the NKJV. She also asked me to look up certain differences in the two translations.

Always glad to help, her request made me dig up my old NIV bible. A flood of memories came back to me when I opened it!

I remember using the Good News bible when I was a kid. I changed to the NIV in my teens as my English improved. Later, I graduated to NKJV in my varsity years as my desire for closer translations and serious bible study grew.

As I flipped through my NIV, I remember how it trusty it had been to me during my formative years. Indeed, it had captured my attention and imagination during those crucial developmental years of my life. I wonder how different my life will be if that book wasn’t part of my habitual routine.

Some of the verses are highlighted with multi-color highlighters. The pages have turned a bit yellowish and crisp, but still good condition. Not a single page is dog-eared, folded or torn. I had this “superstition” to never put my bible on the floor, because it is a sign of disrespect. I don’t know where I got that pantang larang from. I don’t remember anyone teaching me that. But I guess it was my own innocent reverence towards the sacred book that prompted me to do so :)

Hidden inside the front of the bible cover are the handwritten notes of a sermon I delivered in Penang Free School’s CF. Those days, I didn’t have the habit of typing my notes in a computer yet. Along with it are a few more strips of paper in all kinds of colours, in which I remember intending to keep all my sermon notes, just for records, or in case I want to recycle them in the future.


Also, on the front of the bible cover is an old, black ball-point pen that still works! I remember my mum bought a bulk supply of those pens for our use.

Inside the back of the bible cover, I find the words of Germany’s national anthem written in German by Wong Soo Teng. I first heard about Germany’s national anthem when they played Brazil in the 2002 World Cup Finals. It is sung to the tune of the hymn, “Lamb of God our souls adore Thee; while upon Thy face we gaze…” Thus, my interest in getting the lyrics penned down by my friend who took German classes in USM. This is proof that my NIV was still with me at least until my freshmen year!

Stashed in a compartment in the bible cover is a bookmark that Catriena Foo made for me. She gave it to me when my father first left the house. I think I must be in Form 4 then. She gave me words encouragement, because she too lives with the loss of a parent. She now lives with a stepmother.

Written on the back cover of my bible are the words that Catriena’s ex-boyfriend (who is also my distant cousin) wrote for me. It was during the first church youth camp that I attended in Elim Gospel Hall. I was in Form 2, I think. The speaker told us to write those words on the bible of the person sitting next to us. I remember telling Kah Heng to write it in pencil, because my self-concocted “religious and cultural beliefs” did not permit any form of graffiti in my Holy Bible :) These are the words that he wrote:

I Kah Heng pray that
Jous’
Joshua will finish well.

Chooi Kah Heng

Hahaha… I remember he didn’t know how to spell my name!

Also, I found a small box of Luna colour pencils that I stashed inside the bible cover.

Such sweet memories that an old bible can bring back! While I’m at it, I thought that I may as well make an inventory of the bibles that I have:

1) Good News bible. 1 copy. Must be my sister’s property by now.
2) NIV bible. 1 copy. Stored inside its black bible cover.
3) NKJV bible. 1 copy. Currently being used.
4) Indonesian Al-Kitab. 1 copy. Bought in EPCC for a mission trip.
5) The Message, in CEV. 1 copy. Given to me by the Beh family as a Christmas present.
6) Surfer’s Bible, in CEV. 1 copy. Got it from the chaplain’s tent in Lorne, Australia.
7) NKJV thin line bible. 1 copy. Given to me by Mei Yee, along with numerous bookmarks.
8) Bread Of Life, Gospel Of John, in NKJV. 11 copies. Supposed to be free giveaways.
9) Power In Action, The Gospel Of Mark, in CEV. 9 copies. Personal testimony of a great sportsman, C.S. Hooi, included inside :)

Man, I never knew I had so many bibles! Coming across so many bibles in my possession made me ask myself this question: How has the bible really changed my life?

Yes, I may have numerous bibles in my room. But what matters more is how much of the bible do I really have in my life. Do I meditate on it day and night (Josh 1:8)? Have I hidden it in my heart so that I might not sin against Him (Psalm 119:11)? Will I teach it diligently to my children, talk of it when I sit in my house, when I walk by the way, when I lie down, and when I rise up (Deut 6:6-9)? Have I obeyed what it says?

That thought is more sobering than sweet.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Shua,

I completely relate to you on this one. I actually have similar stuff just like you in my old bibles.

As for my NIV, just like yours, I had Pragas write that statement for me in PENCIL. Didn't want to destroy the 'sovereignity' of my priceless bible back then. Only difference is my bible is being held together my 'loytape' due to excessive use.

Yes!! I also have the Surfer's Bible. With your self written Testimony. I will surely have an even bigger laugh next time when I look through that bible 20 years from now!!!

God bless bro,
Alan Low

Hasten said...

Imagine rite... If we've read through every copy of the bible in our rooms, just once through. Can be walking bible already! Hahaha...

When wanna graduate to KJV?

sleepypurplepiglet said...

*takes a bow*

Glad to have initiated the landslide of memories! :)