Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Boooring...

I was browsing through other people’s blogs yesterday. Then I looked at my own blog entries. It suddenly struck me. Gosh, what a boring person I am! Just look at the things I blog about!

Any other normal person would blog about something interesting that has happened during the day. Or some random thought. Or someone he/she met yesterday. Or what he ate for lunch. Where she went last weekend. What he did two nights ago. Something new she found out as “fact of the day”. How he is feeling. What she is doing. Or wanting to do. Just simple, normal things. And they turn out to be quite interesting to read about.

When I glance through my blog… Oh my goodness! What a bore I must be!

I do want to post more light-hearted entries. Something not so serious, or something about myself. But what can I do. The last time I let a little bit of my personality in, someone called me boastful and pompous. *blek*

Here’s how I rationalize my blog posts. Say if I can write one blog post a day, what would I want to write about? Things that are beneficial, or things that don’t matter at all? Well, I could write a balance of both. Like, 3 serious posts and 4 nonsense posts a week.

Then, I ask myself. If I know that I am able, and should be, writing things that are helpful, useful and edifying, shouldn’t I be doing more of that? Yah. You can’t argue with that. So I write 5 serious posts and 2 nonsense posts.

And then again, if I consciously know that I write nonsense posts, why am I deliberately writing them? It is one thing if my serious posts are actually nonsense posts, and I don’t even know the difference. But it is another thing if I can tell the difference, and I deliberately choose to write nonsense.

So, the logic is, if I consciously know when I am actually writing good stuff and when I am actually writing rubbish, why would I choose the latter? If I know that it is better to write about beneficial things, why not go all the way then? You can't argue with that.

So...

7 serious blog posts, 0 nonsense blog posts.

I actually have an old blog that I’ve abandoned upon starting this blog. Back then, I thought it was hedonistic and time-wasting to have a “personal” blog. It had more of myself in there. But it felt so syok sendiri. Only very few people know about that old blog...

But what if I do two different blogs then? One for serious stuff, one for syok sendiri stuff. Why not, rite? I can still maintain my objectives in my Hasten Ministries blog, and I can have some personal fun in a separate blog.



But then… Why the dichotomy? Why am I separating things like that? Does that mean that I am living a dichotomized life? Spiritual and Christian on one side, full of nonsense and hedonistic rubbish on the other side? Having two blogs with such a clear dichotomy will only prove myself to be a hypocritical person who lives a double life, wouldn’t it?



Ahhh… The complications of putting your thoughts in public.

The question still remains. Am I boring? I suspect that I am.

Hmmm…

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it is ok to write both serious and light-hearted stuff (which include personal stuff). If you do not wish to broadcast your personal writings, you can write in a different blog and set it through blogger that it will not be broadcasted on the Net (my blog is private anyway, nobody can see it and search it online).

Writing is a form of expression, whether serious, light-hearted, or personal, just like songs, stage drama, photography and etc. Of course, one can use them for hedonistic purposes, but I believe that self-expression is not hedonistic, though it can be narcissist. Like it or not, such a dichotomy, or more accurately, 'dilemma' always exist, because whether you are writing serious, personal or even 'rubbish' stuff, you are expressing, and that's the wonderful thing about language: a tool of expression.

Anonymous said...

Yes, you are boring.

But dont worry though, we the readers have the choice and free will to close the window.

=p

Anonymous said...

Do people find daily happenings more interesting? On the contrary, I feel that personal blogs about the life of Cik Biasa are like online diaries, only with no thrill of stealing secrets. Mostly only your kenalan are interested to read about what your ordinary life is like.

It's up to you whether to have an all-in-one blog, or seperate fun/serious/personal blogs. For me, I just want to entertain my guests (especially my kenalans) and also for my own fulfillment. I also hold on the hope that strangers who enjoy the fun parts will also browse the serious parts, and maybe learn a little about the faith I profess.

And personally, your blogs aren't boring. Notice that you often get comments on your posts - That's people actually reading and understanding what you write!

Your blog is a good read with quite regular updates. Not many other PKAers blog often any more, and those that do are mostly about personal updates.

Hasten Ministries is a unique and valued address in the PKA blog neighbourhood!

Hasten said...

Anonymous: Don't you think that having a secret blog does not hide the fact of living a dichotomized life, if he really is leading a double life? Even if no human being can discover that person's blog, the contents of the heart can still be seen by God... Be it in writing, or in thought.

Queen Shelby: I know :)

Scott: Thanks :)

Anonymous said...

I don't find it boring - most of the time anyway. ;) You've got a perspective on issues which I find interesting.

But then again, I'm weird.

About the 'personal' posts, I think it's neither wrong nor right to indulge. It's up to your conscience. And I know some bloggers who blog to update their friends, so personal posts are fine that way.

(Then there are some who have blogs filled with loads of gossip and rubbish - now THAT's abuse. It's selfish and mean. These kinda posts are truly garbage.)

Besides, having personal posts will let readers 'see' the way you live - and whether your walk matches your talk.

Not all personal posts are 'rubbish', because it depends on what you write on. If you share your thoughts and opinion on issues or how certain experiences taught you something, it can be beneficial.

I'm rambling, aren't I? Will shut up now.