Friday, December 29, 2006

Government Prophets

The Jehovah’s Witnesses predicted Christ’s return many times. And they got them all wrong. In an attempt to save face, they claimed that Jesus actually did return on October 1, 1914 in an invisible way.


Edgar Whisenant, a former rocket scientist, circulated a booklet around the United States “88 Reasons Why the Rapture Will Be in 1988”. He said that Christ would return on September 12, 1988. People pulled their children out of school in order to be together as a family when Christ came back. They began to withdraw from all long-term commitments. They quit their jobs and gave up their projects in work, in church, and elsewhere.


The prediction failed.


Edgar Whisenant revised his prediction, saying that his calculations were one year off. He said Christ would return instead on September 1, 1989 (or one day earlier or later). Or, if not then, on Rosh Hashanah 1990 or 1991 or 1992. Or, at the latest, September 15 – 17, 1993.


All predictions failed. Chiew…


Déjà vu like mad.


It was predicted that my posting would come by September 18, 2006. I stopped teaching at St. Xavier’s Institution in August, attended my convocation, and waited for September to come.


The prediction failed. I took up the job at Convent Green Lane.


It was predicted that the posting would come by January 2006. I stopped teaching at Convent Green Lane in November, and waited for January to come.


The prediction failed. Now, I sit jobless.


It was said that my posting status can be checked online at http://apps.emoe.gov.my/gsst/gsst.cfm by December 22, 2006. Go and see for yourself.


“The web site you are accessing has experienced an unexpected error.”


The latest prediction says that the posting will come by February 16, 2006. A coursemate says my posting status can be checked in the same website by December 30, 2006. Another source says the Jabatan Pelajaran Negeri said that university graduates will get their posting by mid January.


You know what I say?


“REPENT THEREFORE AND BE CONVERTED, THAT YOUR SINS MAY BE BLOTTED OUT!!”


False prophets. All of them. Terrible…

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

So cham, Joshua! Hopefully your posting comes real soon. When? I don't know. Pray loh. ;)

Anonymous said...

Jesus will return to save us all in the year 2033. Those who thought it would be in 2000 or 2001 are wrong.

This is because the Messiah's triumphant entry into Jerusalem was when He was 33 years old. Therefore, 2000 years after His prophecied coming into the holy city (as Daniel foresaw), we will be raptured.

Buuuuuuuut of course, it doesn't anywhere say in the Bible that Jesus must Second Come in intervals of 100, 1000 or other round numbers.

Hasten said...

Marcus Khoo: Hey! Yeah, I remember you. I'm prepared to go. Anytime, anywhere, teach anything. Only one problem. No posting.

I've written my resume, ready to be sent out. If God permits, I'm leaving the government service.

What I cannot stand is having a ring around my nose, a leash around my neck, and a sign on my forehead that says "government property".

Do not take the government's scholarships. Their breadcrumbs ain't tasty.

Hasten said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hasten said...

Secret Rapture: No attention is paid to your comments.

Scott: Attempt at sarcastic humour noted :) Content ignored.

Anonymous said...

What? I'm semi-serious!

Okay, maybe not, but the calculation of the Messiah's coming in Daniel lands right on the day Jesus entered Jerusalem, rather than the time He was born in a manger. So I was thinking if people want to count by 1000s of years, they should be starting with AD 33 instead of year 0.

Anonymous said...

DEAR JOSHUA

EASY TO TAKE THE HASTY STEP OF REJECTING GOVT POSTING - PATIENT. THERE IS GREAT IMBALANCE IN GOVT SECTOR. VERY FEW TAKERS FR CHINESE N MORE SO CHRISTIANS. I AM TEACHING FOR THE LAST TWENTY OVER DONKEY YEARS NOT IN GOVT SERVICE BUT HUMBLY YOURS IN GOD'S SERVICE N THAT HAS MADE ALL THE DIFFERENCE. SERVICE IS SERVICE. GOD WHO CALLS N OUR GOD IS FAITHFUL N HE WILL NOT U DOWN. FAITH N PATIENT GOD WILL PROVIDE A WAY. I KNOW YOUR ANXIETY N WHAT WAITING CAN DO FOR YOU. DAVID WAITED MANY YEARS B4 HE WAS CROWNED THE KING.
SELVIN