Saturday, August 26, 2006

Convo convo... Faster come, faster go

“Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights” (James 1:17).

I had my convocation last Sunday, and it’s only today when I finally found the time to open my presents. Wah, so many!





A personalized mug from Han-Yu.

Another mug. A teddy-beary one, complete with mug cover and teaspoon. From Kar Seng and Sharon.

A blue tie from Kean and Grace. Just the correct colour to add to my collection! There are no 2 ties with the same colour in my closet until today :)

An orchid stalk from Dan and Elaine. The type that will last forever.

An “orange coloured flower” stalk from Emmeline. Also the type that will last forever.

A towel-rose. Of course it will last forever.

A bouquet of red flowers from my mum. The everlasting type too. And a Kodak C360 digital camera, which made photo-blogging possible! I get increasingly happy with my camera with each passing day... Hehehe.

2 bouquets of roses from my father’s relatives. This type, cannot last forever :)

A bouquet of sunflowers from Mei Yee. The type that died the very next day. Hehehe… And a handmade pillow.

A bouquet of chocolates and bears from my sis.

A pair of soft toy dogs. Black and white colour, from Kevin and Pik Yee.

Another soft toy dog. Same type, but brown and white colour. From Wenby.

A book, entitled “When Life Hurts – Understanding God’s Place In Your Pain” by Philip Yancey. From Scott and Anne.

A “Daily Devotional Insights” book, entitled “Show Me Your Love,” consisting of 365 readings of classic Christian writings, from Esmond. Wonderful! I haven’t started reading it yet, but I have a feeling I’ll like it!

A book, entitled “The Essential Mars And Venus” by John Gray, from Tat Chee, Sadat, Tien Ern, Adelynne, Justin Saw, Koay Su-Yen, Mandy, and Mervin. Ala… I already got the original version la! Studied and memorized already lo! However, this is the conclusion of my study and research: In the end of the day, Venusians still won’t listen to you, even if you quote from the book. They will say, “Because John Gray is a man, not a woman. The book is written by a man.” End of discussion. Sigh… Sad la… O God, what did I do to deserve to the gender I’m in… Eh guys, seriously la… We need a support group.

A book, entitled “The History Of Christianity” from Mr. Koay. He almost got me Systematic Theology. But luckily he didn’t, because…

I got “Systematic Theology” by Wayne Grudem, “Topical Memory System” by the Navigators, and a Garfield soft toy from Joshua Johnson. Thanks, “Kim” :)

A photo frame with 3 pictures inside, taken from 3 feel-good moments, from the USM Lifeguard Corps. Nice! Very memorable.

A photo frame with a picture of the whole Lifeguard Corps inside, from Boon Keat.

2 stickers that say “Katana Wheels BRM. It’s not what you drive… It’s what you drive on.” Whatever. I want a Myvi. J

A keychain and a saman letter from PKA: “Dear graduates. We need money. Thank you.” Fantastic! Hahaha…

A self-made card from Annie and Joanne.

A card from Mandy.

A hand-made CD-like gift (to be hung somewhere) from Esther Siew.

A handmade miniature scroll from Cindy.

A keychain from Peter and Annie.

A keychain from Mandip and Ding.

A blowpipe-like souvenir from Sarawak from Vanessa, Elaine, Samuel, and Yu Pei.

A red pen from Teorene. I dunno how she managed to get it to Penang, along with a hand-written note all the way from Bekenu. Came by canoe, perhaps :)

A handicraft. A ship in a bottle. From Jonathan (I think). “Everyday is a new discovery! Christopher Columbus…”

A packet of M&M’s from Mary.

A new pair of glasses and a new pair of black leather shoes from my father. So I could walk up the stage to receive my scroll in shiny, black leather shoes! Better than my BATA (Buy And Throw Away) PVC black shoes.

A lunch date at a posh western restaurant, from Ian. The food was really nice!

A bookmark with holder from Florence.

2 efficiently developed photos from George.

Thinking back, if it were possible, I’d rather have my scroll Pos Laju-ed to my house. And do without all the fuss and high-strungness.

But I am grateful and thankful to God, for this occasion is a reminder of His goodness, and also an opportunity for thanksgiving. There are many people who are not even afforded with a proper education. But I have enjoyed free education, up to the day I put on my graduation robe.

I have been blessed with such a good education. Now, I will be sent out into the world as an educator. I want to make an impact to the underprivileged. To those who lack the opportunities that I’ve had. I want to bring them hope. Hope of a better future. A better future, that can be made possible through an authentic learning experience.

I’m thankful for the many friends that I have during my university life. I’m thankful, not only for the gifts. I’m thankful for their friendship and for their presence in my life. The gifts that I have received from them are just a token of reminder of what I cherish more – that they have walked with me during these 4 years of my life in the U S of M.

No comments: