Thursday, August 31, 2006

My Country 'Tis Of Thee

I honestly don’t know how some people can truly celebrate Merdeka.

What is there to celebrate about? Mix FM has been saying “Let’s celebrate our country that is free from wars and natural disasters.” Drop me a line in the comment box. And I’ll show you the wars that are waged everyday on Malaysian soil, and that a tsunami is not the only factor that disproves our immunity from “natural disasters.” Just leave your name and email address, and ask for an issue of Merdeka Special, Non-circulated Edition. I’ll be glad to oblige. Free of charge.

I was watching an international movie at Gurney Plaza last night. As I was driving home, the road was jammed with people coming out on bicycles and motorbikes, “celebrating” merdeka. I wonder if they’re really celebrating our country’s independence, or if they’re only making use of this opportunity to indulge in their catharsis. Maybe this why my annoyance is amplified at the whole merdeka thing.

I just seem to feel disgruntled every time this occasion comes around. What is there for me to celebrate? Oh, let’s see… Well, Baskin Robbins is having a discount today…

I’m sure you’re going to hear this speech sooner or later, either in the newspaper, on television, or over the radio: “Apakah itu maksud sebenar merdeka? Merdeka ertinya kebebasan daripada segala jenis jajahan atau taklukan dari semua segi sebagai negara yang berdaulat. Untuk menjadi merdeka dalam erti yang sepenuhnya, kita seharusnya bebas daripada TAKLUKAN MINDA KITA!”

Ok... So, in the spirit of merdeka, I went out and did this:






















Inilah semangat jiwa merdeka!

“Who says we can’t go bald…
Who says it won’t grow back…” – Josh Bon Jovi.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

u now wat, lucky u not teachin us with THAT hairstyle..we wud've laughed ourselves silly XD

but we do miss u. choong mei mei sux...

Hasten said...

I met Chong Mei Meei in person last Monday. I think she looks Korean :)

My father is now trying to get me to temp at CGL. My theory is that my posting will come very soon in Sept, so I just wanna take a break before I start teaching for life. My father's theory is that my posting won't come until next year, so he is trying to draft in my services to his school.

Can't a man just have some decent rest...

Anonymous said...

Way to go man...long live B.O.T.A.K.

Heh heh...