Sunday, August 27, 2006

Give me a sight, O Saviour

And behold, two blind men sitting by the road, when they heard that Jesus was passing by, cried out, saying, “Have mercy on us, O Lord, Son of David!” Then the multitude warned them that they should be quiet; but they cried out all the more, saying, “Have mercy on us, O Lord, Son of David!” So Jesus stood still and called them, and said, “What do you want Me to do for you?” They said to Him, “Lord, that our eyes may be opened.” (Matthew 20:30-33)

The blinder a person is, the greater his desperation to see, no matter what other people may say. I can imagine how it could be like if I were sitting with the blind men during that time...

JH: Jesuuuuusss!


Multitude: Be quiet! Don’t be a nuisance.

JH: *Don’t care. Still screaming* Jesuuuuuss!! Son of Daviiiiiid!!

Multitude: Oi! Shaddup! Don’t disturb la!

JH: *Crawling crawling, arms outstretched, groping for help, screaming even louder* JEEEEEESUUUUUUSS! SON OF DAVIIIIID!!

Jesus: What do you want Me to do for you?

JH: Lord… I want... I want to seeeeee…

Everyone: *In unison* DON’T BE SO VAIN!

That’s exactly my problem. I wish I can see. But I’m not blind. If I were blind, then I may get more proper attention for my eyes. But I don’t want to be blind. Do you see my problem? Let me elaborate.

My eyes are +9.00D, both eyes. It’s so bad, that if I don’t wear spectacles, everyone’s faces look like a balloon blob with black, round eyes like Ju-on. I can’t even see super big fonts on banners or signposts. I have to walk nonsensically near before I can read them. It will look either ridiculous, or as if I’m making a mockery of the signs. If I were to read a book without my spectacles, it will look as though my nose is buried in the book, literally.

So what’s the problem, since I can wear spectacles? You may ask. The thing is, I’m a sportsman. I swim. It’s a real drag to swim blindly. You can’t see who’s on either side of you. Since you can’t even see the person on the very next lane, you got no choice but to only race against yourself. It’s so hard, mentally and tactically.

Next, when you exit the pool, you are blind until you get your spectacles again. If someone has shifted it from where you left it before I jumped into the pool, I’ll have to grope for it under the bright sunlight. If I still cannot find it, I’ll have to ask for help. Try to handle that kind of frustration while your legs and arms are already buckling, and you’re still trying to catch your breath. If I have won the race before doing a treasure hunt for my spectacles, I can’t see anyone, and I’ll look like I’m action. If I have lost the race, it will look as if I’m avoiding eye contact, and people will think I’m a sore loser.

I also play basketball. Even though I am kaki bangku, I loved playing football as goalkeeper. I like badminton, table tennis, and bowling. And volleyball too. I also do athletics. I used to do the hurdles, I have an unfulfilled decathlon dream. I run marathons, and I’m still hoping to do the triathlon one day.

Imagine the kind of carnage that happened to my spectacles on almost a regular basis back then. For basketball and football, I have one pair of spectacles. Let’s call it Type A. This one is the super-hardy one. It is bent like crazy already, and its lens are plastic. But it can still be worn just for the sake of vision in contact sports. That pair of spectacles looks so bad, it makes you look like a monster when you wear that contraption on your face.

As for badminton and table tennis, I have another pair of spectacles. Let’s call it Type B. This one’s lens is also made of plastic. Being an old pair, it’s power is less than +9.00D. It grips my face better, so I can play badminton without having my glasses flying off my face.

Also, since its power is less than +9.00D, I can play table tennis better in it. When you look at high-speed objects through very thick lens, the object will look as if it has a shadow image. The exact location of the object will also take a slightly longer time to register in your brain. In ping pong, if your eyes have a 0.1 seconds delayed telecast, you can be sure as heaven that you won’t win many games.

This Type B spectacles is very useful. I use it for running too. When you are running sprints or over long distances, the last thing you want to distract you is your spectacles sliding off your sweaty nose.

So what kind of spectacles do I wear for reading? Let’s call this Type C. It is the +9.00D one, that can give me perfectly sharp vision. I use it to read, study, drive, and also for going outdoors.

Just imagine how it’s like to go through life owning 3 pairs of spectacles. Before leaving the house, you have to ask yourself what is it that you plan to do for that day, so you can bring the correct pair of glasses along with you. Sometimes, I may have to bring all 3 pairs with me.

The day came when I finally had enough. In my 2nd year in university, I made myself contact lenses. It’s like… like… heaven! I felt as if my sight has been restored! Say bye-bye to dorky glasses! Oh, the freedom! The comfort! The bliss! I can wear sunshades!

But alas, the joy was short lived. 2 years later, my eyes were diagnosed by the ophthalmologist as being too dry. The ophthalmologist said that the hydrophilic contact lenses have sucked my eyes dry. I cannot wear contact lenses again. Today, even when I’m wearing glasses, my eyes can feel sorely dry. I have become dependent on eye-drops… At the age of 24!

So, I have to go back to wearing glasses again. But the thing is, I can’t find my Type A and Type B glasses anywhere! I must’ve thrown them away, thinking that I won’t need them anymore after I got my contact lenses. They are nowhere to be found! The other pairs of not-so-old spectacles that I can find have lenses that are made of glass. So I can’t use them for sports.

So, say bye bye to basketball. Football. Captainball. Badminton. Volleyball. Ping pong. Running. Decathlon. Triathlon. I can only hope my glasses won’t slip off when I bowl. I’ll just be a dork lah.

Anyway, all complaining aside... At least I can see, rite? To compensate for the depression…






I've got a new pair of glasses! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fuiyoh.... look like my sis wan!

Like some ma'am teacher, onli with a more manly look :P

-KC

Hasten said...

The nose bridge is causing holes on my nose...