Thursday, January 11, 2007

And The Guillotine Goes To...

Yup, it made it. The letter came out in NST, January 8, page 28. The letter was edited. The mellow version can be viewed here. A response to the letter can be viewed here.

The Sun made a story out of it. It came out on January 9, front page picture and story on page 8. No bullets were censored. The Sun’s version for “telling it as it is” can be viewed here.


NST is also trying to make a story out of it. They are in the midst of chasing it down.

Now that it’s out in the open, am I feeling worried about what will happen?




Not at all. I’m looking forward for something to happen with great expectancy. If the posting for graduate teachers is hastened, then I’ve accomplished my goal.

Am I worried about what will happen to me? Not at all. It’s a win-win situation for me either way. If the education ministry gives me my posting soon, I win. If they don’t, I get a free degree from them, and I can finally start building my life outside the government sector. I still win.

Is it really heroic and big-hearted of me to do such a thing? Not at all. I disqualify myself from being called big-hearted because I have vested interest in it.

I admit that I wouldn’t have written to the press if I was not an unemployed graduate teacher myself. I am not big-hearted enough to hang out on a limb if I was not personally affected by it. My sense of social action is not that big.

But these recent happenings remind me of someone who did something truly heroic. Something really big-hearted.

This person was in no trouble of his own. But he saw that mankind was in trouble.

He was not personally suffering from the consequences of sin. Yet he could empathize with those who have sinned.

Not only did he empathize or sympathize with them. He left rightful place in heaven, and suffered the punishment of sin on their behalf. This person stuck out his own life for a cause that did not affect him at all.

Why would he do such a thing? Mankind’s sin was not his problem. Was it worthwhile to make it a problem for himself? What’s the point of stirring up to hornet’s nest until the hornets wanted to put him to death?

Caiaphas said of him, “You know nothing at all! You do not realize that it is better for you that one man dies for the people than that the whole nation perish.” (John 11:49-50)

Now, that’s real big heartedness. That person is Jesus Christ.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are discouraged and frustrated do not give up you have done the right thing . i wanted to help you meet some government leaders whom i know personaaly so that u could voice out personally. everytime i tried no one picked up the phone. now its in the press i have read n i like the story in sun. will continue to pray for your posting and will see if i can in any way try help get the posting. selvin

Hasten said...

Selvin: I think I've ruffled enough feathers for the time being, so I'm laying low for a while. It may not be wise to give it a political slant at the moment. Anyway, who are the government leaders you have in mind?

Anonymous said...

As u hav said u hav ruffled enough feathers but do not fear.
i too cant reveal unless i spk personally. this blog is read by many. WAIT ON THE LORD AND RENEW.......
selvin