Monday, January 22, 2007

Armageddon

Joel calls it the "valley of decision". I think I’m deep in that valley.

Last week, I got a job with Fairview International School. I could’ve started as early as today. But I will ask them to hold on to their offer until my bond with the government officially expires.

This morning, the Senior Assistant from Penang Free School called. A teacher just went on maternity leave. She teaches Chemistry, Form 4 and 5. I may be starting by Thursday.

Today, I got an email from Dalat International School too. They will be confirming next year’s openings next week. The Director will be contacting me in the coming weeks.

What am I thinking now?

I want to work in Fairview. But I’ll have to relocate to KL, leave my church behind, and of course my girlfriend too. I’ll have to go without my father’s blessings. And I may have to jump into the corporate sector with no looking back.

I want to teach in PFS. But if my posting comes before I have taught there for 20 days, I will not get paid. It’s a temporary teaching policy.

Now Dalat is starting to bite. If I have to make the jump from the government sector into the corporate sector, I’d rather jump into a Christian mission school. If I go to Dalat, I won’t have to relocate. But they’re talking about next year’s openings, not this year’s! If I have to make the jump, will it be better to jump into Fairview, or into Dalat?

Or maybe I should just wait for the helicopter to take me to jurassic park.

I have a 10-year plan to own my own business. But to do that, first I have to enter the government service. Thanks to them, now my 10-year plan is turning into an 11-year plan.

Or maybe I should just pray more. And ask God deal with my sense of ambition and my lust for advancement. When you feel robbed of your purpose, it gets increasingly hard to live through each passing day.

“So Joshua, what are you doing now? What are your plans?”

“I’m planning to take over the world.”

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

have u written officially to KPM to b released fr govt bond?????????
y not try to write in or go to putrajaya talk personally to them.
at the moment go n do something instead of complaining n getting frustrated. put ur talents to GOD'S use. sorry to sound harsh but i really wanted to speak to u on ur hp but been unable, no one picks up.
selvin

Hasten said...

Selvin: Pretty cool idea to go right up to Putrajaya and ask them to forfeit taxpayer's money on someone who just gave the government bad publicity 2 weeks ago. They can jolly well put that young punk on a helicopter rightaway, send him to a remote island off Brunei's shores that has no Digi coverage and no internet, and make him cease to exist.

Hundreds have tried to pay personal visits and give incessant phonecalls. I personally know of my friends who did those things. They either got told off, or received a personal letter to be patient, or got a standard answer to wait.

The Sun's Chief Editor called me not too long ago. She got word from the Ministry that the posting will come by February. They're just in the midst of "finalizing" things.

Finalize what, I wonder. Which stamps to use?

I was in the doctor's clinic when you called. Was down with viral fever and throat inflammation for the past week.

Anonymous said...

sorry i will try my best to help and also i believe GOD has a purpose. leave ur worries to GOD. i been travelling alot the last few days. holed up with meetings with exam sydnicate n wil try to cal again.
i feel bad having not helped u earlier as u know i was all out to help my former student in usm.
GOD IS ON YOUR SIDE AND WILL NOT LET YOU DOWN. PRAY FOR YOUR POSTING.
selvin