Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Constipation

I'm currently teaching the chapter on human digestion for Form 2 Science. They like it when I talk about constipation.

That's right. I tell them why you get constipation, how to avoid constipation, what happens during constipation... Talk about the rectum, the anus, and how you bleed when the anus wall gets cut by hard, sharp faeces... Tell them how you can shove pills into a sick cow's anus with your hands because its size is so huge... They like it! They listen with rapt attention. I don't know if the cow part is even true. But it doesn't matter, does it.

You try to expound every organ in the human digestive system, its functions and the enzymes involved in every stage of digestion... They don't give 2 hoots about it. You talk to them about defecation. That one, they like.

I came to asking myself: Why do I bother to systematically break down content matter, justify every statement I make, rationalize every point to make it reasonable... When absolutely none of those are remotely necessary? I can just make senseless statements without checking the facts. And they love it even more.

Speaking of constipation. I think I'm getting verbal constipation. I practically have no one to speak English with, except on Sundays. The Streamyx guy is taking a short eternity to fix things, so I can't blog. When I meet a Chinese fellow, and I have to speak Malay. And they'll go glancing at my name tag. "Oh, I'm actually Portuguese," I should say.

No wonder missionaries have stress levels that are a hundred fold greater than ordinary, local people.

I miss my days in St. Xaviers Institution and Penang Free School... Where you make sense to people when you speak intelligent English. I glance down 10 years down the road... If I'm still teaching Science for Form 1 and 2... I dunno. It bothers me.

I look at my class of 30 Form 1 students and 60 Form 2 students. I can't imagine how they are ever gonna make it in the world out there. I ask myself, "Am I looking at 90 cases of hopeless failures every day? What can I do to help them?"

Yesterday, a group of chinese boys were showing a severe case of disinterest and disruptive behaviour. After several attempts at conventional class control, I gave them a dose of rebuke. I muttered softly under my voice. In monotone. In fluent, perfect English. I didn't mince my words nor stuttered. I spoke much softer than my ordinary voice. I directed it to the group of Chinese boys. I told them things they didn't want to hear. Nor do I think any teacher ever did. The whole class fell into a pin-fall silence.

No rotan needed.

How come the Chinese kids know I'm scolding them? I was speaking close to a whisper. Yet, they can hear. I think they know English. They just pretend not to, so they can have a license to simply not know things.

Yesterday, the Principal said she wanted me to join the AJK for PIBG. "Guru Cina kena masuk PIBG," she said. Yeah. I'm so gonna communicate with the parents of the students who can't speak English.

"How can I help them?" I ask myself over and over again. "These are kids from very poor families. From practically zero education background. What can I do?"

Well. Maybe what they need right now is a little charity.

Hmmm... I think I know what to do.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

What are you gonna do?

Unknown said...

waa, what exactly did you say? must be something really really teruk

Anonymous said...

wat u r doing now is definately not a easy job, will takes time... a long process. but thank god u r there. keep it man, the situation will change one day ;)

mengyee

Anonymous said...

yeah, just curious... so what ru going to do?

just curious... did u do tesl or science?

and fellow teacher, gambate!

Hway^ said...

Cheer up! I know its hard to be in a situation that you really want to get out, i am now experiencing it myself. But I am sure God put you there for a purpose, and that is to reach out to the poor kids there. Therefore dont loose heart, continue in what you are doing and never give up!

Cat

Hasten said...

Anonymous: When it's done, you will know. It will be done by Monday.

Holyboy27: Haha... Good thing your class was good. No one got to taste my rebuke :)

Meng Yee: Yah, I hope it will change too. Soon. If I get promoted to the morning session, I'll be happy.

akmj: I'm a graduate in Science With Education, Math major, Chemistry minor, and seriously under-utilized.

akmj said...

and u're teaching science? lower secondary school?

nvm, we learn something new though we are given a simple task...

i'm teaching in politeknik jb... teaching semester one students how to use the dictionary... makes me feel a bit stupid sometimes ;)

Hasten said...

Politeknik? Dunno how to use the dictionary?

Kinda makes you wonder if the country's education system is anywhere near of achieving its objectives. Its philosophy is just a show.

akmj said...

not all the students, some of them...

the Falsafah Pendidikan is extremely idealistic, but i guess there are lots of probs and weaknesses, not to mention terrible loopholes when it comes to implementation...

am trying to look at the brighter side of things, and stop complaining bout these students (and START helping them instead) :)