Saturday, March 03, 2007

Penang Boy, Checking In

Finally checked in to Selayang. Where Selangor meets layang-layang.

I'm now teaching at SMK Selayang Bharu. Science, form 1 and 2, afternoon session. After so many months of hopping from one school to another on temporary stints, it feels good to finally have a school to commit myself to. One that I can belong to.

The school's principal wanted me to start a swimming club. She wants to send the first team from Gombak to enter the state level competition. The Penyelia Petang wanted to appoint me to be the Penolong Ketua Panitia for Science. I think I know the difference between being a contributor, and being abused. "Hi, I'm new, naive, and altruistic?" No, I didn't say that. And I think I know enough to not enter with guns blazing. Yet.

I'm staying in a low cost flat. The whole place to myself, for RM350 a month. Thanks to Haji Tahir, the Penolong Kanan of a neighbouring school. He also happens to be the Penghulu of the area. I don't know what I'd do without him.

Found a job at Pusat Tuisyen Akademik Maju. Science form 2 and form 4, and Add Maths form 4. I'm earning an average of RM25 per hour there. Thanks to Hj Tahir again. His wife so happens to be the owner of the centre.

Made an acquaintance with En. Azahari at Kompleks Sukan Sri Siantan. He's granting me free access to the pool. They're at the brink of starting an official swimming club there. And I'm at the brink of joining the coaching staff.

I'll be paying a visit to Kepong Gospel Hall tomorrow. I haven't really decided on which church to commit myself to. But as a principle, I'd want to settle in a church nearby. Not so much because of convenience. But because I believe that by principle, one should build the local church from wherever he is. That is the correct concept of church planting. Churches should grow from bringing in new people from the vicinity. Not swell from bringing in Christians from other vicinities.

I've also changed my Digi prepaid number to a postpaid number. No, I'm not running away from debtors. And I don't lead a shady lifestyle. It's purely economical. Oh, and don't hesitate to contact me even if I'm not using a KL number. Because as far as Digi is concerned, all calls are at 1 flat rate nationwide. So the charges are the same, wherever you're calling from.

A new life, a new place, many new beginnings. This is Penang kia, checking in. With my PBF 9812.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

dear joshua

congrats
finally u got a school n already active in school, tuition, swimming n sports centre.
very encouraging. dont 4get GOD in ur urgency to build activities.

when in kl will try to look for u.

will pray for u. GOD BLESS.

selvin david.a.

Unknown said...

Hey! Its been long since you updated =D

For a new teacher, you've definitely got alot of work and it seems that its gonna be a busy year for you...

All the best!

Anonymous said...

at last, somewhere you belong. take care dude. do update your blog often.

-sf

ps, hope you wont delete my number again hehe.

Hasten said...

Holyboy27: Hey, how's your chemistry? Do you have a new teacher already, or is your class still floating in chemical oblivion?

SF: Haha! I remembered to key in your number into my new SIM card! Want me to confirm your number here? 019... :)