Monday, February 11, 2008

One of the best holidays I've had

What I realize I missed most when I went home for Chinese New Year...

Waking up to find food on the table. Really good food, still warm, in huge amounts! It's a rarity in my part of the world.

Meeting familiar people and hearing familiar languages, even if I don't understand them. I may not understand what they are saying, but it gives me the feeling that I am home.

Knowing that my parents still love me a lot. My mum bends over backwards to make all my favourite food. She has been doing that since I was Joshua kecik.... Until I am Joshua besar.

Moral of the story...

Good things cannot be realized as long as they are taken for granted.

What I learned most during Chinese New Year...

When traveling towards KL after the holidays, the traffic is the same. Be it 1:30 am or 1:30 pm. I can testify for the 1:30 a.m. part.

Moral of the story...

Travel with somebody in the car. So something bad won't happen and you won't add to the jam.

What I learned most about my mental self during Chinese New Year...

I cannot do nothing for too long. Or be in a state of mental inactivity. I will get brain freeze, stoned, or irritable. Gimme an idea to think about. Or something to dream about. Even if it's just wishful thinking, or a plan to build a castle in the air. It keeps me excited, it keeps me occupied, it gets me going.

Moral of the story...

During gong xi fa cai, take steps to ward off the gong gong feeling. It comes easily when you've finally had enough rest.

What I learned most about my physical self during Chinese New Year...

Something is seriously wrong with my posture. I can't stay on my feet for prolonged hours. I get lower back pains. And I'm hardly 30.

Moral of the story...

Remember your Creator in the days of your youth. Before difficult days come by... When you have to put a lumbar support in your car seat, and vocalize an exhaling sound whenever you sit down.

This is my favourite Petronas Chinese New Year advertisement. Because I don't need to read the subtitles for this one :)

Happy Chinese New Year to all!

And all prawns go to Sheol...

No comments: