Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Bicycle!

I’m going to get a bicycle tomorrow.

The workshop man cannot find spare parts for my Ford Laser. It’s so old, even museums don’t have them. I guess they’ll have to rip off the spare parts from some kereta potong. Until today, the progress on the repair is still at 0%. Can be done in 4 days, huh.

I’m done waiting, hitching rides, troubling others, and paying the taxi man. I'm done waking up every morning feeling utterly helpless. I'm done swallowing the losses incurred during my immobility. I’m going to get a bicycle. Tomorrow.

Do I know how to cycle? No.

The furthest I cycled is around that little patch of grass in Chinese Swimming Club, while waiting for lifesaving centralized training to start. Yes, that’s what Team Malaysia does while waiting for training to start. We learn to cycle.

The other time I remember cycling was when I was a kid, living in Jalan Mayang Pasir, Bayan Baru. My bicycle had another two wheels attached to the back wheel.

I guess I must’ve spent too much time at the pool during my growing up years. I don’t have decent balance on a bicycle. Much less on roller blades or skates.

I think it will be alright to cycle to school and back. It’s just nearby. It takes 30 minutes on foot. I guess cycling will cut it to 10 minutes.

There’s not much traffic in my kampung area. Accident risk is low.

Well, even if an accident happens… It’s not such a bad idea after all. It merely hastens a process. Hasten Ministries. We get you there. Fast.

What will happen to my Iswara when it comes? I guess my logic will prevail. I will “take good care of it.” Keep it for display.

What happens to my Ford Laser then? I guess the crooks will prevail. I’ll just donate it to them as scrap metal. I’m done trying to get it back. Saves me the hassle of trying to get rid of it next time anyway.

On the bright side… With a bicycle, I’m one step closer to my long-abandoned triathlon dream.

No comments: