Thursday, June 14, 2007

This is a story of a boy...

The most belakang class in Form 4 is called 4 Earth. Earth!! Of all planets in our solar system, they must call the last class Earth. Is there any hope left for the world?

There is a Chinese boy in the class who seemed different. Once, when I was sitting in class for a relief period, I chatted up some of the boys. The funny thing is, I had to talk to Chinese boys in BM. But they liked to talk anyway.

I was telling them how hard would it be out there, if they don’t complete their education. “Kalau you tak habis form 5, you susah. Kalau tak score, tak apa. Tapi penting, mesti ada cert. Kalau SPM cert pun tak ada, lain kali you mau buat kerja apa?”

This Chinese boy told me, “Sir, you ajarlah kita. Supaya kita boleh belajar. Cikgu lain tak ajar.”

Nice try to curry favour from me. But I assured him if he really wants to learn, I’ll always be there to help.

I also mentioned it’s very important to learn English. This boy said, “Mak saya selalu suruh saya baca English.” “Bagus. Mak kamu pun tahu English itu penting. Kena baca banyak-banyak kalau nak bagus dalam English,” I said.

Once, I was invigilating an English exam in his class. They were doing composition. Among the rest of the class who were either doodling, drawing, sleeping or being a nuisance, this boy was earnestly trying to write his essay. Because of his limited vocabulary, he kept coming up to me to ask what words to use to express certain things. I helped him out a little. But when he kept coming up too often, I had to stop. “Ini sebenarnya peperiksaan,” I told him as I turned him away. But I was impressed at the effort he put in.

Today, I was giving out the answers for their Maths exam paper. Very few bothered to copy it. Much less to understand it. But this Chinese boy… He copied very quickly, and he asked how simultaneous equations work.

I explained it to him. And he was fast! He got it right away.

No, he didn’t pass his exam. Far from it. But I noticed he had a Pelangi Maths revision book on his table. “Ini you beli sendiri punya?” I asked. He nodded.

Later, he came up to me and showed me his exercises from the Pelangi book. He was trying to do the topic on significant figures. Looks like he was starting from the very beginning. He had copied everything out neatly, and asked me what significant figures meant. I showed him 2 examples. He got it right away!

I was doing a SPBT check on the class that day (Skim Pinjaman Buku Teks). Less than 5 students had textbooks from SPBT. None of them brought their textbooks. Most of them had requested for SPBT textbooks. But they didn’t get any. “Tak ada stok,” they said.

Most of them would be more than glad to have such a valid reason to not have a textbook. But this Chinese boy… He bought his own Pelangi revision book on his own initiative. I don’t know where he got his RM26 from.

I asked him about his parents. He does not have a father. His mother is a cashier.

I thought of tutoring him myself for free. But I don’t have the time to do it. Even if I can, I can only help him with his Math. I’m sure he can do well in Math, if he was given an opportunity. But what about his other subjects? He needs more than Math to get through his SPM. On my own, I am short-handed.

I thought of recommending him to a tuition center. But I’m sure he can’t afford it.

I asked him if he would like the opportunity to go to tuition for all his subjects – if I paid for it. He looked stunned. He asked me to clarify again. “Ya, kalau saya bayar semua.” His eyes gleamed with excitement. “Tapi you mesti janji you kena rajin pergi,” I said. He couldn’t wait to start. I asked him to tell no one.

I guess this Chinese boy was telling the truth when he said his other teachers were not teaching them. Who would, anyway. Realistically, it is an uphill battle. How would you find the strength to teach a class, if all of them – all, but one – look like they couldn’t care any less?

Today’s happenings made me think…

What does it say about the condition of our school, if we can’t even provide textbooks to those who need them the most?

What does it say about us, teachers, if we give up on the classes where “the scum” go to? Have we given up on them before they have given up on themselves? Have we been depriving them of hope? Are we the real cause that made them become what they are today?

What does it say about the education system in public schools, if students have to turn to tuition centers for a decent education? Has public schools ceased to give educational opportunities to those who cannot afford them?

“Execute true justice,
Show mercy and compassion
Everyone to his brother.
Do not oppress the widow or the fatherless,
The alien or the poor.” (Zechariah 7:9-10)

I’ve made it my personal mission to see this boy through his SPM.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its a noble thing to do. Let me know if i can help with any of your students tuition cost. Perhaps you could also consider a yayasan kanak2 kurang duit tapi nak belejar.

i just discovered something... you mix ur name around... and you will find that you were destined to be a teacher since you we're given your name.....

SCHOOI (school?)

Hooi Foundation .... pretty neat

-KC

Hasten said...

6 subjects, RM50 a month.

You serious? Cos there's this Indian boy... From one of the "scum" classes... He's the only one who passed his Math paper.

He comes to the very front row whenever I teach, and he asks questions. He is determined to understand and learn. The only bright hope from his class.

He scraped through the passing mark. I'm sure he can do better. With more expert scaffolding.

His class is also one of the classes that teachers usually give up on.

Anyone else interested in giving to the Hasten Ministries foundation, SCHOOI department, just let me know. Anonymous donors can email me privately at johaste@yahoo.com.

"Hasten... We bring education opportunities to you... Fast!" :)

Anonymous said...

Hope is free while opportunities often times aren't. It's great to see you giving their hope an opportunity to be realised.

Wonderful to see the caring side of Joshua executed in pure action!! May you continue to learn to look at these kids with the same eyes of compassion and equality as our Lord Jesus did.

"The fields are wide unto harvest but the labourers are few. But by His might, then the world will know, there is hope in God, there is life brand new!!" (taken from People Need the Lord)

A.L.

Alex Steinert Miles said...

Hey Joshy,

While you don't know much of me, i've grown to be a fan of your blog...LOL

Tell me if you decided to become mine.

Wanna encourage you. Keep up the good work, i am deeply encouraged by your initiative and the vision to see people coming to their success...I am too teaching at a tuition centre under the church's outreach ministry.

While i do not suscribe to your providing of absolutely free education, I suggest the boy forks out 5 ringgit or so per month. It is an insignificant amount, but it is part of educating him. That nothing is really free in this world.

My prayer goes with Hasten Miistry...

BE a Roaring Lamb in your marketplace!

A roaring lamb himself,
Alex Miles

akmj said...

hey joshua!

An extremely encouraging post to be reading :)

Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

You are a better person to know who really needs the money. I think if we (Christians) talk about love and relationship and all, its gotta be practical love in action.

So how many kids need to grad to be a doc? Let me know. I would be glad to at least give them some hope.
So me serious k.

-KC

Hasten said...

KC: Ok, will look out for more potential and deserving beneficiaries.

The chinese boy I'm sponsoring is going to buy a bicycle. He needs to cycle to the tuition center.

I'm looking into buying calculators now. But the problem is, it's too expensive. The school sells it at RM35 a piece.

Beng's mei said...

Hey joshua.
just wondering.it's been almost 4 months since you shared about some of your students who can make it if they were given an opportunity and also some assistance.

How many kids have you identified so far,kids that have shown an eagerness to learn and has convinced you that they will give their best if you were to help them? especially those you hope to help in Maths.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

-YP