Saturday, June 02, 2007

The Power Of Logic

Mei Yee thinks my blog is boring. She’s more addicted to other people’s blogs. “See, what they write is so much more interesting!”

Ok, so I thought.

M came to Mei Yee’s house last night. She checked her blog at Mei Yee’s computer. “I dunno how to reply all of them. So many comments! All of them about different things!” She said.

What interesting thing she must’ve written, I thought.

So I asked her what she wrote.

“It’s about the time I had to send my sister off somewhere, and I had to wait for 2 hours. I had nothing to do, so I went to Starbucks. I ordered hot vanilla, sat in a corner, went online with my laptop… I felt it was sooo nice! So I wrote about how nice it was to be at Starbucks…”

Bla bla bla.

And yeah, she got tonnes of responses! “Ooh, I like Starbucks!” “I want Starbucks coffee too!” “I’ve had Starbucks 3 times this week!”

“It’s the simple things in life that people find interesting. Not issues.” Mei Yee said flatly.

Yeah. Like “The time I had wind in my tummy.” Or, “Guess what I had for lunch today!” Haha. Hahaha. Hahahahaha!

Well, maybe she’s right. Maybe it’s the simple, daily stuff that people find interesting. Or maybe it’s just M. Because she attracts a lot of lalat all the time anyway! :)

Why do I write what I write? Follow this syllogism:

If I can write x words, I want x words to be beneficial stuff.
I’m going to write x words.
Therefore, I want x words to be beneficial stuff.

It’s just that. Plain and simple. If I have a limited amount of time, a limited amount of space, and a certain number of words to string together, I’d want to do it for something worthwhile. Why do something under the constraints that you already have, if you know it wouldn’t amount to anything more than nothing?

Ok, maybe it’s just my logic. It may not seem logical to others. But it makes perfect sense to me.

Give you another example:

If something is precious to me, I would take care of it.
I have a RM300 watch.
Therefore, I would take care of it.

I won a Seiko watch worth RM300 as a Seiko Award Candidate some time ago. It’s a national award for lifesaving in Malaysia. 2nd place.

It’s precious, it’s expensive, and it’s like a “trophy achievement” for me. Of course I’d take good care of it! So I went out and bought a RM60 Casio watch for daily use. My RM300 Seiko watch sits enshrined in its case among my other trophies.

Do you think it's weird? But it makes sense to me! Why would I want a prize that I’ve worked so hard for to be scratched, rusted, accidentally knocked, or even stolen? Isn’t it better to keep it safely displayed in a box?

Give you another example:

If something is precious to me, I would take care of it.
I have a brand new Proton Iswara.
Therefore, I would take care of it.






My Iswara is not here yet.











But I’m already thinking of getting a bicycle.

























I’m worried about the way I think.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I suspect that when you read the news, you skip anything to do with the lives of celebrities. I always do, since I consider it totally unimportant towards reality.

However, I also skip all the sports section... Guess I don't consider sports to be relevant to my immediate life either.

Hasten said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hasten said...

When I read the news, I'm usually parasiting on my colleague's newspaper while I munch on my bread with ham.

If I have time to read x word, I will read the interesting stuff.
I have time to read x words.
Therefore, I will read the interesting stuff.

First, I read the comics.
Next, I read the sports.
Third, anything else interesting :)

Alex Steinert Miles said...

oh the first part of the blog.
Its the sad reality.
Here we are, writing mature stuff and not attracting even a fly, someone else, writes about how the get free crackers, or buying rabbit pets for others and they get like 30 k readers per day.

Irony...

RegardsJ said...

i agree with ur theory man...
joshua's rawk!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm guilty as charged, blogging about some selfish no-brainers.

But...don't be too put out. It's not you, it's the world. It's why tabloids will never run out of business...the very same reason people love Paris Hilton...the reason why "chick lit" and crap sell better than good books. Escapism in the worst way.

Look on the bright side - at least this post attracted lots of comments.

Anonymous said...

i think its just M.any bullshit she writes sure got ppl comment especially from lalat.tat explains y she got macam macam comment cos im one of her lalat.hehehehehe.

george

Hasten said...

George: Hahaha... Lalat! Her car thing, how?

Anonymous said...

now stil dunno...we met on sunday but he din say anythg.jus wait n see lor.aiyoyoyo..dunno wat goin on with mary tat nite.???women brains r very complex.

george

Anonymous said...

Does it matter how many points u gain? I think its what ppl leave on the blog and what ppl leave after they read the blog which is more important.

But then again, its some ppl's way of reaching and keeping in touch.

Seriuosly, news are either gossips or life changing news. Well nowadays they added the entertainment and resource centre as well. Then again gov policies, international political and economic events are worth keeping track. Those things affect us a lot.

-Kenny

siehjin said...

hmmm, actually i find your blog more interesting than most. only a boring person would find a boring blog interesting, right? oh no! maybe i'm boring, too...=)

Hasten said...

Sieh Jin: Together, we'll bore the world! Bore. As in make holes through it, bore.

Yes, I'm trying to be funny. Ha ha. What a bore :)