Friday, January 11, 2008

Calculator monopoly

Popular Bookstores at Jaya are having a moving out sale. Prices are knocked off up to 70%! Go have a look. Popular has never been this cheap!

Calculators are going for discounted prices.

I'm collecting a fund to buy up all their calculators. And give them away to deserving students in my school.

At RM50, you can put a tool in the hands of a kid to help him/her to count. Or eke a passing grade.

Any extra proceeds will be used to buy compulsory Math workbooks for the students. My students are supposed to buy a Longman workbook, but not everybody can afford to be quick with their cash to buy one. I can get workbooks for them at bulk supply at heavily discounted prices.

Top scorers in the first monthly test who don't have calculators will get a calculator as their prize. (The term "top scorer" in SMK Selayang Bharu means the highest marks among all the failing marks. In other words, the one-eyed jack who is king among the blind. These one-eyed jacks are the ones that need more motivation. Considering they tried to count using their 8 fingers, 2 thumbs, and 10 toes, they should be given a chance to do much better. I don't wanna press my luck and see if they can use the same tools to solve trigo.)

I wanna combat number illiteracy. Help me help them.

If you are interested to be part of the cause, drop me a line at johaste@yahoo.com. Donors will be informed about the beneficiaries of their generosity. A detailed report will be emailed to you.

Thank you.

*The sale at Popular goes on until Sunday.

5 comments:

Beng's mei said...

Hey JH. I suggest you include your CIMB bank account no in your post, if any. Or maybank. ;)

Hasten said...

If you wanna contribute, email me la. Then I let you know. No need to tell the whole world which bank I have and what my account number is.

Anonymous said...

Recommend this post to you, think you'll get a laugh out of it...

http://scottthong.wordpress.com/2008/01/11/malaysian-school-education-may-suck-but-so-does-post-modern-western-maths/

Unfortunately, traditional maths advocates feel calculator reliance dumbs down the students even more by becoming a crutch to them.

Hasten said...

True...

But here, in SMK Selayang Bharu...

Hehehe.

Anonymous said...

Well, since they're cripples already...